Saturday, October 9, 2010

Welcome Tristan!!

















After lots of wishing and waiting (not so patiently at times) Tristan arrived on his own time, on his due date 9/30/10 at 10:54 am. The day before I had been trying all kinds of things to try and naturally induce labor-- primrose oil, spicy food (voodoo chicken from Jazz), and others but I'm not sure any of it really did the trick. I have to lean toward him just coming because it was his time. I had scheduled an induction on 9/28 as my OB doc was planning to be out of town later in the week, and I was getting pretty uncomfortable... but ended up cancelling the induction the day before at my routine follow-up appt. It just didn't feel right. I'm glad I did now. On Thursday 9/30, I woke up a few minutes before 6 am with the feeling that my water had broke. Mom had been staying with us for a few days to hopefully be there to help with Jordon when the time came for me to go to the hospital... and she was actually in KC for medical care herself having spent the previous weekend in the hospital getting IV antibiotics for an abscessed tooth... but by the time Thursday came around, she was doing much better. Don took Jordon to daycare, and Mom and I went to St. Joseph-- I actually drove cause I thought Mom might drive too slow and the contractions were not that bad yet :) I was surprised to find out that I was only at 2-3 cm upon getting to the hospital-- no wonder it was no where near as intense as when I arrived at the hospital with Jordon and was already dilated to 6 cm at that time. There was plenty of time to get the epidural, which helped a lot. I was aggravated that the hospital had lost my pre-signed consent forms somehow with the scheduling of the induction, so I had to fill out everything again while having contractions and before the epidural. I was fortunate enough that my OB physician, Dr. Bret Gordon, was still at the hospital doing rounds after having done a c-section delivery earlier that am. He was getting on a plane to Vegas later that afternoon, but managed to stay with me as things moved pretty fast. I went from 4 to 8 cm very quickly, and Tristan was born about 5 hours after labor started. The similarities between Jordon and Tristan were amazing. They both weighed 8 lbs. 10 oz, and labor for both was about 5 hours. Tristan was born on his due date; with Jordon I went into labor on his due date but had him at 4 am so he was born the following day. Jordon was 20 inches long; Tristan was 20 and 1/2 inches long. Don and I thought that they looked alike also as newborns-- we'll see how Tristan changes as he gets older. The one thing that is very different about the two boys is their personalities. Jordon was difficult to soothe and cried all the time; Don would work up a sweat doing stairs trying to calm him. Tristan so far has been layed back and quiet for the most part; he cries at predictable times with diaper changes and when he's hungry. At the time that I'm writing this, Tristan is 9 days old. We are adjusting well and things seem a little easier and more comfortable every day. We're looking forward to the journey ahead with our new little one!


No comments: